The screened in porch is getting done today! Now that the frame is up and we have a good basis to put the screen on, it’s time to screen!

The screen we used was your everyday window screen – I didn’t go with pet screen or solar screen because it wasn’t necessary. You may consider solar screen on a porch that gets a LOT of sun coming in on it – it will significantly reduce the amount of heat build up.

I wanted something that would be simple to remove in the event I have to replace a section of screen. We began by cutting lattice slats to fit the top and bottom of the area between the posts. There is a 1×6 that was already on the patio that we were going to attach the lattice slats to. We then cut 1x4s to go over the 4x4s – the screen would be stapled underneath this and the 1×4 would help to secure the screen in between the staples. Painted these in almost no time – they dried so quickly because they weren’t very thick.

Then it was time to start putting up the screen. We began by measuring the length of the screen for the area and cutting at the bottom with a tiny bit of leg room. Sometimes when you start screening, you will end up with it somewhat uneven, as you staple to the boards it becomes VERY apparent towards the bottom- especially if you run out of screen! So give yourself an inch or two of wiggle room.

After we made sure the cut on the top was straight all the way across, we held it against the lattice slat and stapled it to the 1×6 on the top. This made sure that the screen didn’t start slipping on me as I stapled the sides and bottom. We went ahead and stapled ALL the tops so that my hubby could go work on another project while I finished the screen.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

From here, the rest was a breeze. Starting from the top, work your way down about a foot on one side then switch to the other pulling the screen tight as you are staple. Be sure to staple at an angle or even perpendicular to the screen. Doing so helps ensure the screen won’t come loose! Staple the bottom, trim excess. This took very little time in respect to the rest of the project.

I then caulked the bottom of the boards that were on the concrete. We already knew it would be exposed to water and we had already painted it with exterior paint – but one more line of defense never hurts anything! Next step was to place the 1x4s over the 4x4s. Best method for easy removal was screws. We predrilled the holes, 4 in total, about ever 2 feet. After this, we stapled the lattice slat to the bottom banister’s 2×4. Staples will be easy enough to remove and if the slat busts, it was a dime a dozen sort of deal.

Stay tuned for the reveal of the porch decorated! Find part 1 here and part 2 here. Keep Reclaiming!