Time for part 2 of the screened in porch!
So after letting that concrete dry, we were ready to start putting up the posts. We decided to do the posts 36″ apart because that was the width of the screen material that we had on hand. Sure, you can do larger spans, but I figured the less space between, the less likely the screen will get ripped!
So we pulled out our handy dandy air hammer drill to drill holes for some railroad spikes we had on hand. This would serve as an anchor to hold the bracket in place for the 4x4s. This was some TOUGH work, by the end of all the posts the bit was completely toast. We secured the posts to the top board with a large nut and bolt. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures of this process… it was pretty intensive and I had to help hold the posts as they were being bolted in.
Posts up on concrete
Another shot of the posts on concrete
Another shot of the posts on concrete and a great shot of the unfinished pool…
Once we got the posts in place, it was time to work on the banisters. They aren’t necessary, but with a dog who is known to break through screens (sorry grandma!), I decided we needed these. We simple measured between each 4×4 and then cut the 2×4. We didn’t mass line this, we did one by one since some posts were original and slightly twisted. After the 2x4s were cut, we cut a LOT of 1x1s to serve as the spokes. This was an easy mass line: I measured while the hubby cut away!
To secure the 1x1s to the 2x4s, we drilled holes in the 2x4s – marking it after measuring distance. Then we also drilled a hole in the end of the 1×1. Pre-drilling saves the hassle of a hard time hammering in place – this can be tricky when it is freestanding. To attach, we used some flat galvanized nails, 3″ in length. I put the nails into the 2x4s – be careful to NOT step on this! then I added the 1x1s. You might need an extra hand to get the second 2×4 on – these little 1x1s move a lot!
After all these bad boys were put together, it was time to paint. This is a long and tedious process. If I had to do it over again, I would have painted the banisters apart rather than together with all the nooks and crannies. I swear by Valspar’s Duramax – it is a nice thick paint that helps hide any dents and comes with a 25 year warranty! Cannot beat that!
Painting done – this took 3 coats, it was time to put them into place. We used an all purpose adhesive like liquid nails to secure the base of the banister to the concrete and then screwed the top into place.
We reused the storm door that came off of the garage door, simply screwed it directly into the 4x4s. The next step will be the screen – but that is a whole new project in itself!
Stay tuned for part 3! You can find part 1 here and part 3 here. Keep Reclaiming!